Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Being a root is like Being a Superman

Being a root (under Unix) is like Being a Superman.
Statement Caught my eye in AT&T's Unix Book.(1984 Edition)
Coincidentally Superman has been my Idol since the beginning. This sentence triggered me to learn & use Unix/Linux on my Desktop.
I got this book from a girl who was my neighbour.
She contributed in a big project (probably at NCR), it was about ATM machines, back in 1990s ATM machines was like fantasy. My dad & uncle use to show me their ATM Cards as prestigious asset (which use to lie in their pocket all the time). I saw her name in local newspaper & came to know she was brilliant.

I was in the 8th grade & got this book when she left her place. She just dumped all the books front of her door & probably went to America after that.
In India PC Quest released Linux Kernel 1.0.2 CD in 1997. When I came to know that Linux is almost like a UNIX, I started using it on my Desktop. I installed it using a 2X CDROM drive which I bought for Rs. 3000. Installation was an experience. Whole SWAP partition & X window system was quiet amazing. I use to hear about such stuff from my colleagues who were working at Tata Consultancy Services, Tata InfoTech & Patni etc.
Being a Commerce student it was all like an achievement for lifetime. Never really understood the importance of it but it gave me a good break & boost in my career. It has been 9 years & I have been working on Linux on & off.
After such a long duration it doesn’t really feel so important to learn everything about Linux & get Certified etc. but I definitely feel proud that I have used Linux for such a Long time.

No comments: